Loading...

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Below is a direct transcription of the response from management of the Louisville Orchestra on Monday, August 15, 2011. Management has been reticent to make public comments about the process, preferring to treat this as an internal matter, especially as it relates to the company's contract with the musicians. 


Based on these comments, contract negotiations appear to be the most significant question left to be addressed before the season can begin. The Louisville Orchestra is scheduled to perform with music director Jorge Mester on September 10, 2011 in Whitney Hall, Kentucky Center for the Arts.


Arts-Louisville.com will have more on the Orchestra's progress as it becomes available.


The Board of Directors and management of the Louisville Orchestra are gratified by Judge David Stosberg’s ruling today confirming the Orchestra’s re-organization plan effectively ending the bankruptcy of the Louisville Orchestra. 

“At its core, this is a victory for the community,” said Board President Charles Maisch.  “Our duty as stewards of the Orchestra is to preserve symphonic music and the Orchestra’s legacy for the citizens of Louisville, and today’s ruling moves us in a very positive direction.”

Under the terms of the Orchestra’s plan, the organization will now make payments to honor the majority of its commitments to exit bankruptcy. 

“Emerging from bankruptcy is an important step,” said Orchestra CEO Robert Birman, “but it is just that – an important first step toward a vital future.  We implore our musicians to return to work so that our community can again benefit from the services of the Louisville Orchestra.”

Decisions regarding the start of the season are imminent.  The season is slated to begin on September 10.  Orchestra officials said that the musician’s interest and willingness to perform will be a deciding factor in whether its September concerts will go on as scheduled.

“We thank all of the members of the community for their ongoing support through this difficult period,” said Maisch.  The Orchestra said it would post regular updates for the community on its website, www.LouisvilleOrchestra.org.

1 comment:

  1. It has been with baited breath that I had been sitting at my computer and iPhone awaiting a ruling that I had very good instinct would run in favor for the LO. But above all, and I hope that the community understands this, it is not an easy fix. There are a lot of wounds to heal and from what I have been told from some sources, they are very deep. I have been asked by many friends and fellow arts worriers, "what's going to happen", "how did they allow something like this to happen"? Now is the time to dedicate to rebuilding the World Class Orchestra that we all know and love and my hope is that ALL that are involved will be able to stay on the same page of the same score.

    ReplyDelete